Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Domestic Violence

I'm not sure if this entry belongs here, or on my Bullying blog ? This blog is the one that carries the content warning, so maybe here is the right spot, since sexual behaviours are mentioned as well as emotional issues.

There was a thing on television yesterday about the effect witnessing domestic violence has on children. All of a sudden someone has realised it has an effect. Woohoo for them ! (*sarcasm*) Shouldn't that have been d*mn obvious to people ? What I experienced as a child still effects my relationships and interactions with others now, in adulthood

I am presently seeing a counsellor. Part of what I have been discovering is the effect on me of witnessing and experiencing domestic violence as a child. If you don't feel safe around your parents, your primary carers, you are going to struggle feeling safe around anyone else too. Not feeling safe makes you do and feel odd things about other people and about yourself.

There's a theory that says people who are abused as children (that happened to me too) often end up involved in the BDSM scene, which I did. A number of people I met on the BDSM scene had experienced similar things in childhood. I don't know if there really is a link, though.

So, good thing that someone 'official' has realised that children can suffer from domestic violence, not only directly but also indirectly. Bl**dy obvious to those of us who've been there.

No comments:

Post a Comment