Thursday, February 26, 2015

Working within my Community



Regular readers will be aware that I am Bisexual. I've started volunteering at Manchester's Lesbian and Gay Federation. I am loving it.

I have never been as involved in 'gay life' and 'the scene' before and it is quite a novelty to me as a result. There's so much going on, too!


First weekend in March there is 'Sugar and Spice', a celebration of International Women's Day. I plan to be there, with bells on (possibly quite literally).


Earlier this week I attended 'Stepping Stones' and learnt a lot as part of Gay History Month.
Bisexual history can be found here.



I also gave thought this week to who amongst the lesbian and female bisexual icons might have inspired me. It took me a while to come up with some names, but here's my list:


  • Josephine Baker, a fabulous dancer from our earlier history
  • Frida Kahlo, a talented Mexican artist whose works I am fascinated by, who was married to Diego Rivera, but numbered Josephine Baker amongst her female lovers
  • Jodie Foster, a very talented actress
  • Alice Walker, author of 'The Color Purple'
  • Sarah Waters, author of 'Tipping the Velvet', 'Fingersmith' and a number of other fabulous period novels
  • Jessie Blackwood, author of 'Per Ardua', 'Life Begins at Forty' and more; also my Best Friend!
  • Margarethe Cammermeyer, the highest ranking US military official to come out while in the service and campaigner for gay rights in the military
  • Angeline Jolie, actress and celebrity and very beautiful woman


No comments:

Post a Comment