Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Wisdom of Others - Loving and Supportive Relationships

Regular readers will know that recently I have bveen reading 'Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink or Blue', edited by Leslie Feinberg. Much of what Feinberg and his fellow writers in this volume have written speaks to me, so I am sharing here via a number of entries.

Cynthia Phillips has this to tell to us:

"She was so matter-of-fact telling me that I was not shocked or upset about it; I just accepted it as a part of someone I was in love with. I felt that Linda was such a fine person that anything she did could not be a bad thing. I always have looked inside a person and have not been concerned about appearance. So when I looked into Linda's (Jim's) soul I saw someone who had the qualities I desired in a person I planned on spending my life with." (p41)


Feinberg adds:

"Our significant others are not observers of 'our' oppression. They are not 'related' to our movement. All our significant others are partners in the life-changing experience of trans-consciousness and struggle." (p46)


For my own part, whilst I have not been blind to appearances, how someone looks is no longer the primary factor in deciding who I chose to sleep with and care about. It has never been a factor in who I 'choose' to love -- when I love I do so instinctively, without rationalising or being able to consciously select the objects of my affection.

I am eternally grateful for the support I have received from all of my allies -- my partners and friends, lovers and loved ones. Your willingness to let me be and to help me be the person I am is the greatest of treasures.
.
.
.